Sophocles Screenwriting Software
"INSIDE" by Steven J. Fauquier E-Mail First Draft email@example.com November 12, 2004
This screenplay is copyrighted to its author. All rights reserved. This screenplay may not be used or reproduced without the express written permission of the author. FADE IN: EXT. ROAD - NIGHT An empty road. All is quiet except for the rustling trees as the wind blows through their various colored leaves. The many branches loom precariously over the road, protecting it. The GLOW from the full moon illuminates the baron surroundings. A red CAR speeds by and heads into the unknown darkness in the distance. INT. CAR - NIGHT A YOUNG COUPLE are in view. They sit in a silence filled with intimate peace, not awkwardness. CARL is driving. He gazes straight ahead with one hand on the wheel, the other fidgets in his lap. He wears a very well tailored suit. ANDREA is sitting shotgun, examining her nails closely. She wears an elegant black dress. Andrea looks up out the window after a moment, then to the speedometer, then back to her manicure. ANDREA Honey, slow down a little. You're making me nervous. Carl continues to stare ahead, a competitive look on his face. CARL Can't. We're not gonna make it. Andrea sighs and looks up at him. ANDREA Is it a race? CARL No... but look at the gas. Andrea leans over to check the gauge. The needle has dropped below the E.
2. ANDREA God dammit, Carl. CARL I know, I know. It slipped my mind. (Trailing off) I have a lot of things on it right now... Andrea slumps back in her seat, eyeing Carl. Beat. ANDREA I thought we promised a long time ago that we're not going to keep anything from each other? You know, no surprises. Like I know you hate. Now mind telling me what these things on your mind are? CARL They're just things Drea. If I could define them I would've called them something different. (Smiles) Besides, promises have expiration dates. ANDREA That's cute... and good to know. Carl flashes her a quick glance before looking back to the gas gauge. Beat. CARL We'll make it. He steps on the gas, the vehicle picks up speed. Andrea watches the speedometer climb. ANDREA You do know the faster you go the more gas you use, right? CARL Yeah, but the slower you go the less ground you cover. It's a catch twenty two. Beat. Andrea sighs and moves around in her seat, uncomfortable. She rubs her hand across her stomach. CARL What's the matter babe?
3. ANDREA Nothing. I'm fine. Just a bit of a stomach ache, I guess. CARL Something's not sitting well. You wanna smoke? You know, just this once? ANDREA Absolutely not. CARL There in the glove box if- - ANDREA (Stern) Carl, no. Carl lifts one hand up defensively. CARL Just a suggestion. ANDREA Well, don't. I've been good. CARL I know. I'm sorry. They drive in silence. Beat. Andrea shifts in her seat. ANDREA (Pouting) I'm hot. CARL You sure are. Wait until I get you home and I'll- - She laughs. ANDREA I'm flattered, but I meant that literally. It's stuffy in here. CARL Well don't turn on the AC, it burns gas. ANDREA It does?
4. CARL Yeah... I think. (beat) Roll down your window babe. ANDREA No way. It'll mess up my hair. Andrea flips down the small mirror above her head and examines herself. CARL (Staring at Andrea) You're right, your hair looks beautiful. (Eyes back to the road) I wouldn't want anything to mess it up tonight. Andrea flips the mirror back up and studies Carl. She watches him grip the wheel, his knuckles have turned white. His free leg is shaking nervously. ANDREA Are you okay? You seem... anxious. Carl flashes her another quick glance and swallows the lump in his throat. CARL Nah, I'm fine. Just hoping we make it home. They both impulsively look at the gas gauge. Andrea isn't worried; She turns and gazes out at the dark scenery flowing passed the window. ANDREA There is always more gas then it seems. They just want to make it look worse so that we spend more money. Carl looks over lovingly and smiles. DISSOLVE TO: EXT. STREET - NIGHT The sputtering red car makes its way down the street lined with split-level homes on either side. The vehicle's HEADLIGHTS are unnecessary as the many STREETLIGHTS illuminate the suburban surroundings.
5. The neighborhood is picture perfect. Each property in front of the lovely homes have freshly cut lawns and lush gardens. The vehicle makes an abrupt turn into a driveway and the faltering motor shuts off. INT. CAR - NIGHT Carl and Andrea are kissing passionately. Beat. They pull back but their faces remain close, noses almost touching. ANDREA (Whispers) I love you. Carl grins. They peck once again, pull back to their normal sitting positions, unhook their seatbelts. CARL I told you we'd make it. ANDREA Yes, you did. Carl opens his door, swings a leg out. CARL Allow me. Andrea takes her hand off the door handle and sits back smiling. Carl shuts his door and disappears out of sight. Beat. He appears at the passenger door and opens it. CARL (English accent) Madam. He holds out his arm toward her. She takes it. ANDREA (English accent) Why thank you kind sir. Carl helps her out of the car.
6. EXT. DRIVEWAY - NIGHT He shuts the door behind her. ANDREA (English accent) Now be a dear and romance me with some poetry. CARL (Playfully) Why? It's just ordinary language with a hint of the dictionary. Andrea grins. ANDREA You should write some of those down. EXT. HOME - NIGHT They both laugh as they walk arm in arm up the path lined with exotic plants and flowers towards the front door. Carl begins kissing her neck. Andrea closes her eyes and grins. Beat. She opens her eyes. Her smile slowly fades. ANDREA (Whispers) Carl. He remains kissing her neck. His hand slips over one of her breasts. CARL (Muddled) 'Drea. Beat. He notices by her rigidness that she is not in the mood. He looks up at her. CARL What's wrong? Andrea is wide eyed as she stares ahead. Carl follows her gaze to their front door. It is wide open.
7. They both freeze. Time seems to freeze. Instinctively Carl steps in front of Andrea, shielding her from the unknown. CARL (Looking ahead) Did you forget to close the door? ANDREA (Whispers) No, I locked it. Like always. CARL (Looking ahead) Are you sure? ANDREA (Whispers) I'm positive. They both stare into their home. Beat. Only the outline of the walls, stairs and railing are made out. Every other detail is blanketed by darkness. The couple continues to stare ahead, motionless. Beat. Carl reaches for Andrea's hand, takes a deep breath. CARL Okay, let's go. He takes a step toward the door, Andrea doesn't move. He feels her resistance and looks back to her. CARL What's wrong? ANDREA What's wrong? Our front door is wide open. Someone could've broken in. CARL That's ridiculous. The door is probably just busted. C'mon. He tugs gently at her arm, she doesn't budge. ANDREA I have a bad feeling about this. Let's call the police.
8. CARL The police? Your paranoid you know that? ANDREA I'm not paranoid... just cautious. Carl stares at her. ANDREA Fine not the police then. Let's... let's just go get a neighbor or something. CARL I'm not waking anyone up at this hour for a faulty door, Andrea. ANDREA Better safe than sorry. I'm not willing to risk it, okay? Carl takes a few steps closer to her. CARL Listen to me babe, do you know where we live? This is the safest place in the world. There is nothing to worry about. Trust me. Andrea looks unsure. CARL I'm asking you to trust me. (beat) Will you? Beat. Andrea mimes "Okay" with her mouth, still unsure. Carl smiles and guides her towards the open door. They approach closer. CARL (Calling inside the home) Hello? Anyone there? Silence. Beat. Carl turns to Andrea. CARL The boogyman says he's leaving now.
9. Andrea cracks a smile, beginning to loosen up. CARL We go way back. Andrea laughs quietly. A few steps from the door when a SMASH OF GLASS emits from somewhere inside. Andrea yelps and jumps back in fright. Carl retreats with her, a sudden look of worry and realization crosses his face. ANDREA (Whispers) Oh... my god. Carl quickly takes Andrea away from the door and down the pathway, hand-in-hand. They stop halfway down the path. Carl takes a hold of her by both arms and looks deep into Andrea's eyes. CARL Go wait in the car and stay there, got it? ANDREA W-where are you going? He looks into the darkened house then back to her. CARL Inside. ANDREA No! Who do you think you are?! Let's just call the police and- - CARL No. No police. Just wait in the car okay... please. ANDREA What do you plan to do, huh? Tell me that. You don't know who's in there. (beat. whispers) They could have guns.
10. CARL They could be a stray cat that wandered in through our open door. Nothing is going to happen, nothing is wrong you hear me? Remember where we live babe. Andrea's eyes start to well up with tears. ANDREA You can't leave us alone. Leave me alone. CARL Don't cry hun. There is nothing to be afraid of, I promise. Just tell yourself not to be afraid, and you won't be. ANDREA Every time I tell myself not to be afraid, I know I already am. Carl stares at her. Beat. CARL (Softly) Wait in the car. Andrea shakes from the night chill or from her nerves. Carl rubs her arms to warm her up, waiting for her response. Andrea looks away. Beat. ANDREA Okay. (beat. Looks back to Carl) But if you're not back in five minutes, I'm going to the neighbors to get help. I don't care what time it is. Carl smiles. CARL Deal. He hands Andrea the car keys from his pocket. They give each other a quick kiss and part ways. Andrea scampers to the car. Carl heads towards the open door. DISSOLVE TO:
11. INT. CAR - NIGHT Andrea sits behind the wheel of the vehicle. She shivers uncontrollably as her eyes search around the property for any signs of movement. The digital clock reads; 11:59. She hugs herself trying to warm up. ANDREA (Whispers) C'mon Carl... where are you? Checking the rearview mirror and out of each window, Andrea looks around at all the darkened houses surrounding her. Silence reigns. She clicks on the radio; the speakers softly play "Two Tickets to Paradise". Beat. She promptly shuts off the radio. Suddenly it gets very dark. Andrea spins around to notice all of the streetlights have shut off. She looks back to the clock, it reads; 12:00. ANDREA (Sarcastic) Great. Scanning the area once more, Andrea removes the keys from the ignition and exits the car. She's careful to shut the door with as little noise as possible. EXT. HOME - NIGHT The front door remains fully open; the darkness, tomb-like. Andrea sneaks halfway up the path and stops in the same spot as before. She stares into her home. Beat. ANDREA (Urgent whispers) Carl! Are you there? Silence. Beat. The howling wind blows through the many trees in the background. Andrea shivers and spins around.
12. Nothing but dark, cold homes. ANDREA (Whispers) Don't be afraid. Don't be afraid. She glances back over her shoulder at the open door before running off. EXT. NEIGHBORS HOUSE - NIGHT Andrea scampers awkwardly up some stairs in her high heels. She reaches the front door of the house. She looks through the window beside the door. Only a dark, empty home through the thin white drapes. She takes a deep breath, knocks lightly on the door, waits. Beat. She knocks again, this time double the amount and twice as loud. Beat. Looking back through the side window, no kind of response. No lights turning on. No movement. Growing impatient, Andrea reaches for the doorbell and presses it. The bell RINGS and echoes through the entire house. Looking back though the window; nothing. Everything remains still, lifeless. ANDREA (Whispers) Please wake up. Andrea pounds on the door loudly; RINGS the doorbell twice. ANDREA C'mon. Where are you guys? She checks in the window once more before giving up and leaving. EXT. NEIGHBORS HOUSE #2 - NIGHT Andrea runs up another stairway, this time with noticeably improved grace. We see she has taken off her shoes and is now carrying them barefoot. Not wasting anytime, Andrea looks into the side window that is not masked by drapes and RINGS the doorbell. Suddenly a SHADOW LEAPS into her view and SNAPS at the window.
13. Andrea jumps back in fright and lets out a shrill YELP. She covers her mouth with her hand, dropping her shoes to the ground. BARKING is heard inside. A black DOG looks out at her from behind the window and snarls. Andrea gathers herself and heads back to the window. She looks inside, there is no movement besides the Dog, who continues to BARK loudly. She RINGS the doorbell repeatedly; all this does is further aggravate the Canine. The house remains still, distant. She slowly backs away from the house with a look of confusion. The Dog's tail is wagging. EXT. NEIGHBORHOOD MONTAGE - NIGHT Andrea is seen knocking on door after door, ringing doorbell after doorbell. Each result is the same, nobody answers. Nothing moves. Looking from INSIDE the several different homes, Andrea's face stares in at us through the windows with growing worry each passing time. By the end, she is visibly in tears. EXT. STREET - NIGHT Andrea makes her way across the darkened street, stepping gingerly over the pavement barefoot. A black CAT is spotted crossing paths in front of her. She watches it through teary eyes as it disappears into the night. EXT. HOME - NIGHT The door remains wide open, only still shadows inside. Beat. A PHONE RINGS in the house. EXT. STREET - NIGHT Through the silence, Andrea hears the faint RINGING in the distance.
14. The tears drop off her cheek as a glimpse of hope crosses her face. EXT. HOME - NIGHT The RINGING is close. Andrea peeks around the corner at the open door. She swallows heavily before opening her mouth, but manages only a tiny squeak. She clears her throat. Beat. ANDREA (Faint) Carl?! She waits and listens. Beat. ANDREA (Louder) Carl, answer me! The phone continues to RING. Beat. ANDREA (Yelling) I'm calling the police! Whoever the fuck is in my house is about to be in serious trouble! (Listens; beat) I'm calling the police right now! Andrea hurries away toward the car. INT. CAR - NIGHT She shuts the door and locks it. Andrea remains sitting still for a long moment. She watches the corner for any sort of movement. There is none. Her eyes begin to tear up again. ANDREA (Shakes head) This is unbelievable. She looks in the side pocket on the door, nothing but CD's. Leaning over, she opens the glove compartment, files through papers and books until she spots a pack of cigarettes. She picks it up, looks at it. ANDREA No.
15. She tosses the pack to the back of the glove box. Shuffles through more useless items. ANDREA Where the fuck is the cell phone?! She shuts the glove compartment, looks to the backseat. Lifting up a jacket and several shirts, she finds nothing. She checks the pockets of all the shirts, nothing. Andrea desperately reaches under her seat and feels around. She comes up with a wad of gum stuck to her palm. She angrily rips it off and tosses it. Looking up to scan the surroundings, she places the keys in the ignition. The engine falters, almost starting up before dying. Andrea smashes her palms against the steering wheel and begins to cry, burying her head in her arms. Beat. The phone continues to RING faintly inside the home. She looks up, attempting to gather herself. Taking a deep breath, she does so, and exits the vehicle. A small imprint of gum is left behind on the steering wheel. EXT. HOME - NIGHT Andrea stands in the middle of the path staring through the open door. Beat. She begins to time her steps with the phone's RINGING. Approaching within a few feet of the door, she stops. She rubs her stomach with her hand and takes a few steps back. Beat. Clearly frightened, she gathers herself once more and steps slowly into her home. INT. HOME - NIGHT Andrea stands unusually upright and alert just inside the doorway. Afraid. Not moving a muscle. Not breathing. She listens intently but her ears are completely drawn to the unanswered RINGING phone ahead. Looking to the left - - The laundry room. Looking to the right - - The living room. Both are completely dark and empty.
16. Turning her attention to the door, she slowly reaches for the handle... she only grazes it with her finger before removing her hand. Andrea gazes upstairs. The floorboards slightly CREEK. ANDREA (Whispers) C-carl? No answer. Beat. She gently moves a few steps down the hall and to the left. She stops and listens. Silence except for the RINGING phone. She CLICKS on a nearby LIGHT on the side table. She cringes from the clicking sound. The phone stops ringing. Andrea freezes, waiting. Beat. The wind howls outside. The open door SQUEAKS. She swallows nervously. ANDREA Carl!? Andrea gasps from the sound of her own voice as it echoes throughout the home. She stumbles backward. Running to the open door, the slapping of her bare feet against the tile is noticeably amplified through the silence. She quickly spins around, frantically searching the home for any signs of movement. Andrea darts to her left and flicks on the LIGHT in the laundry room. Running back across the hall she turns on the LIGHT in the living room. She turns on the LIGHT for the stairs and the main hallway. Quickly making her way back to the doorway, Andrea spins around and looks over her newly lit home. ANDREA (Yelling) I called the police! They're gonna be here any second! Silence. Beat.
17. ANDREA (Yelling) Car- - ! The phone RINGS. Andrea gazes ahead into the semi-darkened kitchen. She bites at her nails. Taking a quick step forward, she catches herself and steps back again. Beat. She inhales a deep breath and suddenly bursts into a full- out run towards the tormenting RINGING phone. Her bare feet slapping against the tile floor echoes throughout the home. Charging into the dark kitchen, the ringing abruptly stops. Beat. Andrea freezes, her muscles tens up. Her eyes are wide. Beat. A raspy WHISPER is heard just over her shoulder. Andrea is startled and jumps, making a mad dash to the kitchen counter. The front door is heard slamming shut down the hallway. WHAM! Reaching the counter, she pulls a long knife from the knife holder and quickly spins around. A distorted DARK FIGURE is looming directly in front of her. Andrea lets out a primal SCREAM and desperately lunges forward. She drops out of sight. Silence. Beat. All the LIGHTS simultaneously turn on at once. LAUGHTER. The many NEIGHBORS stand with grins on their faces around the kitchen. They hold bottles of champagne, various foods and wrapped presents. Carl is smiling as he stands near the kitchen counter, looking down at the floor. His smile slowly fades. Andrea is lying on the floor looking up at him. Tears fill her wide eyes. Her mouth quivers. Carl drops to his knees. The surrounding faces of the many Neighbors contort and their smiles turn to shock.
18. Carl hunches over in front of Andrea who lies on the tile floor. A pool of blood surrounds them. He collapses on top of her. The many Neighbors huddle together. Carl's head rests on Andrea's heaving chest. His face goes white, his eyes become moist. He sits up. The long knife has punctured deep into Andrea's belly. The wound is seeping blood everywhere. Carl wraps his convulsing hand around the knife handle but second guesses himself and quickly removes it. He places his hand firmly around the outskirts of the wound instead. The blood has soaked through Andrea's black dress. He looks into her wide, desperate eyes. CARL (Quiet) It was supposed to be a s-surprise babe. He spins his head around and looks at all the shocked Neighbors huddling together. CARL (Yells) Would somebody call a fucking ambulance!? Several Men snap out of the initial shock and rush to the phone. The others pull out cell phones from their pockets. The Women are crying. Carl looks back to Andrea, his entire body trembling. CARL (Frantic) Hold on babe, you're going to be alright. I-I'm gonna keep pressure on it and it will be alright, okay? Carl quickly tears her dress around the area of the wound. CARL (Whispers) You're gonna make it. (beat) I promise.
19. Andrea slowly shakes her head. Carl looks down at the puncture wound in her slightly round stomach. He pauses. Andrea's hand grabs Carl's hand and places it in the blood. ANDREA (Painful whisper) Our baby... is inside. Carl looks into her eyes then back to the puncture wound. Tears begin to fall from his face. CARL (Whispers) Jesus... ANDREA (Painful whisper) Our son. CARL (Disbelief) No. The Neighbors remain standing idly by; The many Husbands holding their Wives in their arms. A BROKEN BOTTLE OF CHAMPAGNE lies in pieces on a nearby coffee table. Paper towels are soaking up the spill. For the first time a banner is seen overhead. It reads; "Andrea... Will You Marry Me?" A cell phone has fallen out of Carl's pocket and lies on the floor next to a small black felt box. Carl hovers over Andrea holding her motionless body in his arms; The blood of his wife and unborn child draped over him. FADE OUT.
Return to Simply Scripts