In case you’re curious about what went wrong with the Super Mario Bros movie, you want to see how it could be adapted, or you just want to see a good idea go bad, check out Super Mario Bros. The Movie Archive script collection, which has PDFs of all the versions that came out in the early 90’s. There’s:
- The fantasy version, written in 1991, a comedic fairy story, a Princess Bride style adventure, and
- The 1992 pitch & script for a sci-fi based version of Mario Bros, what the film became, heavily inspired by Ghostbusters, and
- The two darker versions, after the directors brought in Dick Clement & Ian la Frenais (this is the version that reportedly attracted Bob Hoskins and the other stars) with Mad Max visions of the future, and
- The softer more romantic rewrite. The producers had this done after they panicked about the darker version. Rewritten by Ed Solomon (Bill & Ted) and Ryan Rowe (Charlie’s Angels), and finally,
- The final “Rainbow” version after the directors brought back the original writers, a mix of voices.
Thanks to “John” for the info!
Information courtesy of imdb.com