Tuesday, April 1, 2008

SimplyPod - posted by Don

From the mind that brought you EscapePod (excellent speculative science fiction short fiction in audio format) and PseudoPod (excellent short horror fiction in audio format) comes the debut podcast by Podcastle. Each week they will bring excellent short fantasy fiction in audio format to your mp3 player, tho if you wish you can listen to the story on your computer. The debut story is Peter S. Beagle’s Come Lady Death. Peter S. Beagle may be familiar to some of you as the writer of The Last Unicorn and the screenplay based on the book of the same name.

As many of you know, I’ve been a big fan of short speculative fiction in audio format. Periodically and from time to time, I take a break from screenplay updates to let you know about audio fiction on the ‘net. In fact, Simplyscripts presents short scripts in audio format from time to time. You can even subscribe to the feed via iTunes Oneclick.

However, audio scripts are just not as popular as I thought, so I’ve decided on a major and radical content shift for SimplyScripts. Beginning tomorrow, or the next day. Or early next week, perhaps. SimplyScripts will become SimplyPodTM! While all the other excellent podcasts have the popular genres locked up, like science fiction, fantasty, horror, hardboiled and thriller, I have found my niche. Coming soon, no more scripts and screenplays. Coming soon, short speculative juvenile fiction in audio format. Each week SimplyPodTM will bring you short speculative fiction written by and performed by my son and his friends from Mrs. Cartwright’s second grade class at Oakton Elementary School.

Coming next week or tomorrow will be the inaugural story Mr. Carrot and the sad Carnivore. It has been a pleasure serving your screenwriting needs over the past nine years, but I feel I must move on to new and better opportunities. So, please come back tomorrow or early next week for the grand unveiling of SimplyPodTM! – Don

"me"
April 1st, 2008 at 11:18 am

“Audio scripts are just not as popular as I thought, so I?ve decided on a major and radical content shift for SimplyScripts.”

I find this piece of news extremely depressing. You crushed me!

I wish you would have announced this before I took out a second mortgage, sold one of my prized event horses and pawned my 10th anniversary watch to finance the remainder of the scripts on my website to be recorded into audioscripts.

I admit though that I am looking forward to Mr. Carrot and the sad Carnivore…

;-(

Dr. McPhearson
April 1st, 2008 at 1:10 pm

I’m not even going to be kind about this: I believe this shift is an absolutely terrible idea. If “audio scripts are just not as popular,” as you yourself has stated, then why on Earth would you want to throw away all this great contribution that you have given to the community of screenwriting, for something that is “just not as popular?”

If I were you, I would at least leave this website as it was (maybe even pass the torch in terms of webmaster) and buy up a completely seperate domain for SimplyPod, which you will then devote all of your time to.

Honestly, consider this… at least for the sake of those who really enjoy this place.

Shelton
April 1st, 2008 at 5:19 pm

Doc,

This is something that has been discussed for quite some time behind the scenes, and although a lot of us were hesitant at first, we’ve decided that ultimately this is the best thing for Don to do.

If Mr. Carrot and the Sad Carnivore doesn’t strike your fancy, be sure and check out “I Wear Underpants, You Wear Underpants, So Let’s All Do the Underpants Dance.”

It’s utterly brilliant, and I’m sure it will get you into our frame of thinking. The RIGHT one.

JACK LANA
April 1st, 2008 at 10:13 pm

April Fools Right? lol…………..

Alan
April 2nd, 2008 at 8:40 am

Hmm…”The Underpants Dance.” It took me until the undies dance to realize it was April Fool’s. I must really be getting old.

Dr. McPhearson
April 2nd, 2008 at 11:08 am

Wow. April Fool’s? Dang. I suddenly feel ridiculous.

Dan
April 2nd, 2008 at 12:30 pm

Dang!

"me"
April 2nd, 2008 at 3:36 pm

I can’t believe some people actually thought I was serious!

Second mortgage? Selling sport horses? Pawning my Roly?

I’m into audio (stories), but jeeeez!!

:D